Build Up wants young people’s ideas for shaping their area
Build Up is a charity that empowers young people to shape their local area by designing and building inclusive public spaces. Spaces for people to relax, play and hang out – our past projects include a high street play and seating area, an estate picnic space and a parkour course.
Young people’s voices are normally left out of decision making about their local area. Build Up’s aim is to change this. In the last nine years we’ve built 46 new spaces to give young people a role and a say in the future of their community.
We are looking for people and organisations to partner with to create new projects in 2024. We want to hear your ideas for creating new, or improving existing spaces that young people can spend time in.
What are we looking for?
Build Up projects create accessible outdoor public spaces; places to relax, to play and get together. Take a look at our process to see how a project works.
We are looking for ideas for young people aged 10-23 to design new, or improve existing public spaces. This could be (but is not limited to) high streets, estate spaces, parks, play spaces, walking routes and informal gathering areas.
Your ideas need to be for public spaces that:
• Are accessible at any time, and must be located in London.
• Designed to last for at least 10 years, if built.
• Benefit young people held back by inequalities connected to (but not limited to) ethnicity, gender, class, disability, income, housing situation and sexuality.
What are we offering?
We work with young people to design and build public spaces. We have nine years’ experience in securing funding, engaging stakeholders and winning support from local authorities. We bring together professional skills in architecture, construction, project management and youth work to help deliver projects.
Build Up offers our time and expertise to selected partners to develop ideas into feasible projects that can be built. This will typically involve:
• Carrying out site visits and create a project brief (strengths, opportunities, challenges, constraints)
• Developing a project plan, setting out how young people and other local community members will be involved in shaping the project
• Securing project support from landowners and local decision makers
• Obtaining project funding
• Working with young people to design and build the project (subject to feasibility, permissions and funding)
Who is this for?
People and organisations with an understanding of young people’s experience of their local area. Including, but not limited to; young people, youth organisations, community organisations, local residents.
You will need to be able to support your own or staff time developing the project idea prior to applying for funding.
Applications for this round close at midnight on 15th December 2023. We will review applications as they come in and encourage you to apply as soon you are ready.
1. Apply using the short form below. A copy of the application questions is available here.
2. We will ask for further information if required.
3. Our staff will do an initial feasibility check – is the project something Build Up can work on?
4. If the answer is ‘yes’, we will contact you to arrange a site visit and find out further information. If the answer is ‘no’, we will let you know why.
5. Our Youth Advisory Board will review and select up to three projects to take forward.
6. We will update you on the Youth Advisory Board’s decision in January 2024.
Questions and queries
If you want to find out more about Build Up, how we work, or you have any other questions about the sort of projects and partners we’re looking for, please get in touch.
We like to meet potential partners and are very happy to chat on the phone or set up an online conversation. Please get in touch with founder and director of Build Up, Huan Rimington.
firstname.lastname@example.org / 07427 704291